Sunday, July 14, 2013

Donut Balls

I've been wanting donuts for so long! I can't remember the last time I had a donut. I knew the only way I was going to get it was if I made it myself. Normally it takes about four hours to make a batch of regular donuts, but I didn't have that kind of time this morning! This donut ball recipe is so simple and quick. It only took me half an hour to make a dozen. I don't mean to sound bias, but it's the best donut recipe ever! They came out crispy on the outside and so soft on the inside.  
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 tbsp melted butter 
  • 6 cups of vegetable oil (for frying)

Glaze:
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup water (or as much as needed to make a runny consistency) 

Directions:
Heat oil in pot. The oil should reach 350 degrees F. (I used a cooking thermometer to be sure)

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In another bowl melt the butter. Mix in the milk and sugar. Then add the liquid ingredients to the flour ingredients. The dough will be sticky.


Using a cookie scoop, scoop out a ball of dough and with your hands  roll into a ball (do not press too hard on the dough..you want to keep it as fluffy as possible). Place the balls into the oil. 
Keep an eye on the temperature and make sure it stays at 350. When one side get golden and crispy flip over to the other side until the entire ball is all golden and crispy. 

Place finished balls onto a pile of paper towels to drain. Make the glaze while the balls are still hot. mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and water until it's smooth and runny (you may need less or more water so just eye ball how much water you use).

Move the donuts onto a rack or plate and spoon the glaze over the balls. (I had a lot of glaze left over so you won't be using all of it on one batch)
                                                                                                          

The donut balls are best served right away while warm and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment