Saturday, July 27, 2013

3D Minion Cake (Despicable Me)

I was asked to make a minion cake for a customer's daughter's birthday party this Saturday. All I was told was to make sure I had the two eyed and one eyed minion somewhere on the cake. It's awesome when I'm given creative freedom on cakes, because I'm not stuck making traditional cakes. I love getting to run with different ideas. I've never made a 3D character cake before so it was really fun challenging myself this week. This cake was super exciting to make! The customer was really impressed with it & I'm so happy! 
The minion cake is chocolate with vanilla buttercream frosting. The cake in front of the minion is strawberry and vanilla buttercream frosting. All the decorations are made out of fondant.

3 comments:

  1. That's super cool and really cute! How did you put the legs on without if falling off, and having it be continuous with the rest of the fondant? Is the bottom of the hat buttercream, and is there cake inside of it too? I would love to make something similar to this for my boyfriend's birthday.
    Thank you :)
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, also, did you put cake boards in between the layers, or did you just add cakes on top of each other?
    Thanks again :) I've never made a 3D cake before either. Yours looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the legs I just shaped fondant into a square and dabbed water onto it and stuck it on the bottom to look like legs. You could use tooth picks to keep it on there, but I find that a little unnecessary.

    For the hat I used card stock paper. I rolled it into a triangle shape and tapped it all over with clear duct tape. Then I decorated it with fondant. The bottom of the hat is open so there isn't buttercream. I used a long skewer (that I tapped to the inside of the hat) to keep it stable and attached to the minion.

    I stacked about five cakes on top of each other without using any board in between. Doing that made it really delicate and so I had to refrigerate it for a few hours to keep it stable.

    ReplyDelete